The Cajun Experience
Scott Dorsey
2009-09-06 17:00:47 UTC
Thumbs up to the Cajun Experience out in Leesburg... if you find yourself
out there, it's well worth a trip. A couple months ago, I showed up with
a bunch of somewhat obnoxious and sleep-deprived festival crew members.
The maitre d' took one look at us, gave us a private room where we could
not bother anyone else, and took great care of us. The food was excellent,
and much of it was a somewhat different style than I am accustomed to;
they did a gumbo, for instance, that wasn't thickened with file but used
only the okra for thickening. It worked out very nicely.

Visited there more recently and was still impressed. The first time we
where there they didn't have a liquor license yet, and I forgot to ask
about wines the second time we made it out.

Either way, if you find yourself out in the area, it's well worth it.
Might even be worth the trip from DC.
--scott
J. B. Wood
2009-09-08 10:36:49 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
[...]
Hello, and I would hesistate going to any restaurant with "experience" in
its name. I go to restaurants to dine, not have an "experience." I don't
go shopping to have a "shopping experience", etc, etc, etc. Gen-X
marketing.
(In all fairness, since the food and/or its preparation is awful at many
theme-based restaurant chains perhaps the "experience" (sans food) is all
that is left.) Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: ***@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337
Scott Dorsey
2009-09-08 13:36:43 UTC
Post by J. B. Wood
Hello, and I would hesistate going to any restaurant with "experience" in
its name. I go to restaurants to dine, not have an "experience." I don't
go shopping to have a "shopping experience", etc, etc, etc. Gen-X
marketing.
Normally I would agree. It's like going to a Chinese restaurant with a
panda on the sign.
Post by J. B. Wood
(In all fairness, since the food and/or its preparation is awful at many
theme-based restaurant chains perhaps the "experience" (sans food) is all
that is left.) Sincerely,
In spite of all this, the Cajun Experience was remarkably good. And not
a chain.
--scott
pltrgyst
2009-09-08 15:10:34 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
In spite of all this, the Cajun Experience was remarkably good. And not
a chain.
For the moment. They're already planning locations in "DC, New York City,
London, and Dubai." (Loudon Extra)

It would be nice to read a direct comparison of similar dishes there and at
RT's, though.

BTW, the Washingtonian review said: "If there's a shortcoming, it's the gumbo,
which has ... a watery broth that could use an extra dose of roux..." 8;)

I use gumbo as my basic Cajun barometer, (as I do simple pasta dishes in Italian
restaurants, and fried rice in Chinese places). If they can't get the gumbo
right, I don't believe I'll be driving out to Leesburg.

-- Larry
Scott Dorsey
2009-09-08 15:16:37 UTC
Post by pltrgyst
Post by Scott Dorsey
In spite of all this, the Cajun Experience was remarkably good. And not
a chain.
For the moment. They're already planning locations in "DC, New York City,
London, and Dubai." (Loudon Extra)
That's amazing. It's good to hear that SOMEONE is trying to expand these
days.
Post by pltrgyst
It would be nice to read a direct comparison of similar dishes there and at
RT's, though.
BTW, the Washingtonian review said: "If there's a shortcoming, it's the gumbo,
which has ... a watery broth that could use an extra dose of roux..." 8;)
I use gumbo as my basic Cajun barometer, (as I do simple pasta dishes in Italian
restaurants, and fried rice in Chinese places). If they can't get the gumbo
right, I don't believe I'll be driving out to Leesburg.
As I said, it's a very different style than the New Orleans gumbo. It's
not thickened with file at all.
--scott
pltrgyst
2009-09-08 19:35:57 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by pltrgyst
Post by Scott Dorsey
In spite of all this, the Cajun Experience was remarkably good. And not
a chain.
For the moment. They're already planning locations in "DC, New York City,
London, and Dubai." (Loudon Extra)
That's amazing. It's good to hear that SOMEONE is trying to expand these
days.
Well, I'm really looking forward to driving to the Dubai branch. Maybe I'll
catch the F1 race while I'm there...

-- Larry