Kentlands in the Gaithersburg, MD area
Terry Pogue
2006-08-19 21:12:34 UTC
We live in Potomac, and have for many years so we know the restaurants
in the Rockville/Bethesday area. We love Blacks restaurants, Addie's
and Black Market Bistro in Garret Park. The one in Bethesda too but we
don't often get there.
The one area we have not investigated in the Kentlands area and I
understand there are some nice place there. So I'm looking for new
restaurants to try.
Any suggestions?
terry
Adam Finkelstein
2006-08-22 23:58:29 UTC
Post by Terry Pogue
Any suggestions?
terry
The new Caspian Cafe.

Enjoy
Adam
--
Adam Finkelstein
adamf7ATgmailDOTcom
Hawknoah
2006-08-23 15:42:27 UTC
Lots of restaurants in Kentlands, a lot of them chains, but pretty good ones
for what it's worth.. Here's what I can think of with some brief comments:

Bonefish Grill-- somewhat upscale seafood chain owned by Outback, but
excellent and very crowded and popular

Buca Di Beppa-- Italian "family style" chain, specializing in meats. Pretty
good actually

O'Donnell's Seafood-- old line Bethesda seafood restaurant (i.e. frosted rum
buns, Norfolk style dishes) that relocated to Kentlands in much nicer
accommodations, quite good for the most part with nice atmosphere- although
for the fish itself, I would say Bonefish is the superior choice. This place
has more to choose from though, with oysters/clams on half shell, steamers,
lobster, etc. A little pricey for what you get ordinarily, but the Sunday
brunch is a tremendous value.

Cantina D'Italia-- large Italian restaurant, very average- you'd actually be
better off at the Buca Di Beppa chain restaurant

Moby Dick House of Kabobs-- as bland as can be, not worth bothering; has
this become Caspian Cafe? I haven't paid attention the last few visits to
the Kentlands, since this place was so dull

Five Guys, Noodles & Company, Baja Fresh-- fast food like chains, but
freshly made food and the best of the bunch

Famous Dave's-- lousy chain barbeque, go to Rockville and Derwood for much
better, chain or otherwise

Tandoori Nights-- Indian, I haven't tried but have heard only good things

Potomac Pizza-- fine for kids, pizza was average at best

There's a little place for wood fired pizza and Italian sandwich place
that's hidden in a less obvious place in the Kentlands off Market Street. I
forget the name, but have heard good things about that too. The one time I
tried to eat there, it was sweltering hot inside from the pizza oven and it
was too crowded to find a table anyway. Looked like a take out joint if I
ever saw one.

Vasili's-- also hidden in there off Market Street somewhere, but a small
Greek place that's quite good

Good Fortune Chinese-- this was near Giant and may have changed its name;
used to be excellent and carried Dim Sum until it changed ownership, last I
tried it was too average to bother with unless you live there (and I think
there is another Chinese place near the movies said to be better)

I hope this helps, I know I'm forgetting some.
Noah
terry
Adam Finkelstein
2006-08-24 22:58:03 UTC
Post by Hawknoah
Moby Dick House of Kabobs-- as bland as can be, not worth bothering; has
this become Caspian Cafe? I haven't paid attention the last few visits to
the Kentlands, since this place was so dull
The Caspian Cafe is a completely different restaurant.
Adam
Hawknoah
2006-08-28 01:36:33 UTC
Hey Adam- I thought you were going to post or email me a 10 best of
Frederick a few months ago, so we could compare our lists :) Give it a shot
if you get a chance.

Noah
Adam
Terry Pogue
2006-08-25 13:28:04 UTC
Thanks so very much for the list of restaurants. As I said Bonefish
Grill sounds like one we should try.
How about King Farm? Is that part of the Kentland area?
terry
Hawknoah
2006-08-28 01:32:54 UTC
King Farm is in Rockville at approximately 355 and Redland (by Shady Grove
metro), not too far from Kentlands. Let me think of the restaurants there..

Nick's Chophouse is in an office building and I think they are trying for a
Ruth Chris/Morton's type feel. They do fall short of those places, but the
atmosphere is nice and it makes for a wonderful lunch that's an excellent
value. The dinner is another story-- Ruth Chris prices but the quality is
less and service is pretty mixed. Definitely a good restaurant but stick
with it for a "power" lunch so as not to be disappointed.

Thai Farm is also in an office building and is just great, some of the best
Thai in the area and certainly some of the friendliest proprietors/staff
that you'll ever find. Very inviting atmosphere as well.

Fontina Grill is a very good Italian restaurant, not outstanding but still
worthwhile, again with nice atmosphere and generally good service. Not
overly expensive either.

Kardo Mediterranean Grill is a rather bland Persian restaurant. It makes
Moby Dick seem exciting by comparison.

I've not been to L'oustalet - a tiny French restaurant which has gotten good
press, although I've not heard anything good from people who have personally
eaten there.

Nagoya Sushi- I ate there once and realized I never needed to go there again
when the far superior Momo Taro exists right nearby on 355. Don't bother
unless you live there and want to walk to get your sushi.

Eastern Cafe-- takeout Chinese so unless you live nearby, you need not
bother, but I have always found it better than most of its competitors,
although slightly more expensive too.

For fast food, there is a Baja Fresh which is great and Quizno's which I
find inedible. There is also a Maggie Moo's Ice Cream place, a rather
expensive indulgence (though maybe a bit less so than Cold Stone Creamery)
where they beat your ice cream into oblivion then mix it with gummi bears,
butterfinger bars, marshmallows, etc.

So in summary, if King Farm is your destination, then Thai Farm and Fontina
Grill are your best bets. If you live/work over there, then Nick's, Baja
Fresh, and Eastern are all worthwhile as well. L'oustalet may be worth
trying too, I've never been.

Noah
terry
Scott Dorsey
2006-08-25 13:44:12 UTC
Post by Hawknoah
Moby Dick House of Kabobs-- as bland as can be, not worth bothering; has
this become Caspian Cafe? I haven't paid attention the last few visits to
the Kentlands, since this place was so dull
I rather like Moby Dick. The kebab is good, although it is Persian
style which is not very strongly flavoured. But the fresh flatbread is
excellent. It's not my favorite restaurant of all time, but it deserves
more than this. No relation to the Caspian Cafe.
--scott
Hawknoah
2006-08-28 01:17:56 UTC
I loved Moby Dick when it opened, but every subsequent time I went there it
did less and less for me. After about five visits, I could barely stand the
food. Perhaps it's improved in recent years? It's probably been at least
five years since I gave up on it.